This was a month of ups and downs, both for my blog and for my reading. Especially for this blog where I didn’t post anything for over a week. But it was an okay month from the point of view of work and I tried to get through the books on my Spring TBR.
Books I Read
- Can’t Escape Love (Reluctant Royals #2.6)
- Sweetpea (Sweetpea #1)
- A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals #3)
- Wild Beauty
- Macchiatos, Macarons, and Malice (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery #9)
- The Couple Next Door
- Immortal in Death (In Death #3)
- A Blade so Black (A Blade so Black #1)
- Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
- Murder is Easy (Superintendent Battle #4)
- Summer of Salt
- The Clocks (Hercule Poirot #37)
- The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient #2)
- The Hard Way (Jack Reacher #10)
- The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
- The Lustre of Lost Things
- Final Girls
- The Coffin Path
- Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
- Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot #19)
- We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire #1)
- The Mystery Of The Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries #3)
- We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World
- Heart-Shaped Box
- Third Girl (Hercule Poirot #38)
- Milk and Honey
- Murder in Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot #14)
Favourite Book of the Month
I was so torn between The Lustre of Lost Things and Sweetpea, two very different books but I went for the first one. I was in such a mood for magical realism and there was a boy who discovers people’s stories and a cute dog and it was so lovely. Plus the main plot wasn’t what I dreaded was going to happen, which is always nice to see.
Least Favourite Book of the Month
Unfortunately, the book on this list was one that was hyped up and one I was looking forward to as an Alice in Wonderland urban fantasy retellings. I don’t mind tropes but this book had a lot of tropes that I didn’t like and ones I did like weren’t done as I hoped. It wasn’t a bad book and the ending did help bring it up a bit, but I wouldn’t go ahead and seek out the sequel.
So I did a few readathons this month. I also meant to do Borrowathon but that didn’t happen, so I ended up doing Ramadan Readathon last minute. I did Scallywagathon and Strangeathon, which went varying degrees of well. I did get a lot of books that have been on my TBR for ages read which is one of the main reasons I take part in readathons so I count it as a success.
I also took part in the Fairyloot Readalong for the month where I read Nocturna. I’m glad I read it on the readalong because it took me a bit of time to get into (my review is here) and I definitely want to be involved with more readalongs in the future. The next one is the 17th June so I want to drive right in.
I have done just as horribly with my ARCs as I have done in the last two months so that is something I really want to refocus on in order to get my NetGalley list back to a manageable level.
From my May TBR, I read two out of four books from it and I’m in the middle of The Miseducation of Cameron Post, so I think I did pretty well with that. Here’s hoping I can keep it up for June!